Neil A. Stein
Neil Andrew Stein is a principal of the firm and a member of the Land Use, Zoning & Development Department. He has extensive experience in zealously representing landowners, developers, institutions, and non-profit groups in all phases of real estate law including complex transactions, entity structuring, financing, land use approvals, land use litigation, eminent domain and real estate tax appeals. Neil has also served as a solicitor to several local townships and zoning hearing boards. This public sector expertise promotes development of strong relationships with elected and appointed government officials, as well as a keen sense of the best ways to cut through “red tape.” Neil brings creative and dynamic legal thinking to every project and has obtained governmental approvals for unique projects such as non-conforming uses, adaptive reuse of former military bases, landfills, and distressed properties.
Neil began his legal career as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Lawrence L. Lasser, the Presiding Judge of the Tax Court of New Jersey.
Neil is currently an Adjunct Professor of Real Estate Law at the Temple University Beasley School of Law and lectures frequently to professional organizations in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Neil also serves on the Legal Action Committee of the National Association of Home Builders, and is the Chair of the Political Action Committee and a Director of the Home Builders Association of Bucks/Montgomery Counties. In 2015, Neil was inducted into the HBA “Hall of Fame.” Neil has also served as a Director and member of the Judiciary Committee of the Montgomery Bar Association.
He has been designated as a “Super Lawyer” by Philadelphia Magazine in multiple years as well as being recognized among the Best Lawyers in America.
Neil graduated magna cum laude from Temple University with a Bachelors of Business Degree in Accounting and Economics and is a cum laude graduate of the Temple University Beasley School of Law and holds a Masters of Law (LLM) in Taxation. Neil also served as Research Editor of the Temple Environmental Law Journal.
- Real Estate Transactional
- Commercial Lease
- Contract Review
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Purchase and Sale Transactions
- Real Estate Financing
- Land Use, Zoning, and Development
- Act 2
- Building Codes
- Environmental Mitigation and Permitting
- Litigation and Appellate Practice
- Outside Agency Permitting
- Philadelphia Zoning
- Subdivision and Land Development Approvals
- Tax Assessment Appeals and Exemptions
- Construction Law
- Business and Corporate Law
- Environmental Law
- Administrative Proceedings and Litigation
- Regulatory Compliance
- Site Development and Brownfield Redevelopment
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, LL.M.
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, J.D., cum laude,
- Dean’s List, Law Journal: Temple Environmental Law Journal, Research Editor
- Temple University School Business Administration, Philadelphia, PA, B.B.A, magna cum laude
- Dean’s List
- National Association of Homebuilders, Legal Action Committee
- Pennsylvania Builders Association, Hammers & Gavels
- Home Builders Association, Chair, Political Action Committee
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Director & Judiciary Committee Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Pennsylvania Association of Township Supervisors
- In re Thompson, 896 A.2d 659 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2005).
- Segal v. Buckingham, 771 A.2d 90 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2001).
- In re Brickstone Realty Corp., 789 A.2d 333 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2001).
- Harleysville Homestead v. Lower Salford Tp., 980 A.2d 749 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2009).
- Whitemarsh Township Solicitor (former)
- Attorney (former) for Whitemarsh Residents Association, Rydal – Meadowbrook Civic Association, Whitpain Residents Association, Upper Uwchlan Residents Association, Belmont Terrace Neighborhood Association (Upper Merion Township)
- Special Counsel (former) to Elverson Borough (Chester Co.), West Norriton Township, Worcester Township (Montgomery Co.), Nether Providence Township (Delaware County)
- Board Member (former), Penllyn Greene Homeowners Association
- Rainy Days, Mondays and Recessions
- Will “Waters of the United States” Definition Become Less Fluid?
- The Infrastructure Gold Rush – Opportunities for Minority Businesses
- THE LEGAL RISKS OF SOCIAL MEDIA – RECOGNIZE AND DEAL WITH THE ISSUES BEFORE A LAWSUIT ARISES
- Making Real Estate Great Again – Compromise or Combat?
- Delaware County to Engage in Reassessment of all County Property
- A Look Ahead Through Green-Colored Glasses
- Be Green, Not Green With Envy
- Demystifying Title Insurance in the 21ST Century
- Homeowners Associations
- Land Use, Zoning & Development Articles
- Let The Commercial Borrower Beware Why Franklin Never Borrowed Money
- New Deadlines and Rules Apply to Bucks and Montgomery County Property Tax Appeals
- Pennsylvania Dep Gets Tough With Permit Extensions
- Philadelphia Commercial Property Owners Can Reap Tax Windfall
- Property Owners and Developers May Get “Bogged Down” by New Wetlands Regulations
- Real Estate Lawyers Face an Uncertain Future
- Subsequent Purchasers of Home Allowed to Sue Original Builder for Breach of Warranty
- The Federal Government Traps Commercial Real Estate Brokers In Its Regulatory Scheme
- When Common Ground Becomes “Green”
- When Social Media Becomes Unsociable
- Will a Green Building Make You See Red?
- Greening the Land Development Process
- A Glimpse Into the Future: Developers and Communities Cooperate to Solve Problems
- Homeowners Associations – Is the Cure Worse Than the Disease?
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Served as panel chair and lectured on numerous occasions on topics including land use, transactions, property rights, securities and contracts. Consistently one of the highest rated lecturers for the Pennsylvania Real Estate Institute.
- Other Presentations
- Panel Chair, Real Estate Development, Lorman Education Services
- Nuts and Bolts of Plan Approval Process, Lorman Education Services
- Liability and Land Use for Architects and Engineers, Lorman Education Services
- Fundamentals of Real Estate Development, Sterling Education Services
- American Institute of Architects, Going Greener, Risks of Sustainable Development
- Guest Lecturer, Temple University Center for Sustainable Communities