Amee S. Farrell
Amee Smith Farrell is a principal of the firm and a member of the Land Use, Zoning & Development Department. She concentrates her practice in the areas of land use, land development and zoning of commercial, public and residential real estate. Amee represents both corporate and private individuals throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey before municipal boards and state and federal agencies and in state courts. Amee works hand-in-hand with the project team to procure local, state, and federal approvals throughout all aspects of the land development, construction, and occupancy process.
Amee devotes a substantial portion of her practice to zoning and land use approvals in Philadelphia. Because Philadelphia is not subject to the same set of rules and regulations as its neighboring suburban counties, the development and approval process in Philadelphia is distinctly different than that of its counterparts. Amee regularly represents large developers, small business owners, and private individuals before the Zoning Board of Adjustment and assists her clients in all aspects of the Civic Design Review and Land Development processes.
Prior to joining the firm, Amee was a member of the design staffs at Daley + Jalboot Architects and Cope Linder Associates, both of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where she gained extensive experience in the design and construction of public and private projects in and around the Philadelphia area, with special focus on public bidding and oversight of multi-prime construction projects.
Putting her prior architectural experience to good use, a significant portion of Amee’s practice focuses on responsibilities under the Pennsylvania Construction Code Act and the International Building Codes. She assists developers in procuring the necessary approvals to undertake development projects and works with developers throughout the construction process to ensure municipal compliance with applicable building code regulations for timely procurement of construction permits and certificates of occupancy.
- Procurement of all use and signage approvals throughout Philadelphia for a national retail company expanding to multiple locations in Center City Philadelphia.
- Procurement of all zoning and land development approvals for a franchisee redeveloping commercial franchises at multiple suburban locations in Montgomery and Bucks counties.
- Successful negotiation of tax assessment appeals for several commercial and residential clients, each resulting in substantial reductions in proposed assessment amounts.
- Pro Bono Activities:
- Cheltenham Township Zoning Hearing Board, 2008 – Present
- Cheltenham Township Zoning Hearing Board, Chair, 2013 – Present
- Board of Directors – The San Rocco Foundation, 2007 – Present
- Is Blue the new “Green?” Blue Roofs gaining ground
- PA’s Building Code Regulations: The Key to Getting Construction Started and Buildings Occupied
- PA Commonwealth Court Holds That Developers May Choose Their Own Construction Inspector
- Navigating land development approvals – (Surprise) it’s all about team work, NJPA Real Estate Journal
- PA Land Use Law, Lorman Education Services, 2006
- Land Use From Beginning to End, Lorman Education Services, 2007
- Land Use Update, PBI Real Estate Update, 2009
- Incentive and Risk in Building Green, BIA of Philadelphia, 2009
- Obstacles to Redevelopment, PBI Land Use Institute, 2010
- Incentive and Risk In Green Building, PSBA Design and Construction Conference, 2010, HBA of Bucks/Montgomery County, 2010, and MAREJ Green Building Summit, 2010
- Don’t Gamble on Your Next Project, KSMRS 2012
- Development Rights (and Fights) Under the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, Gratz College, 2016
- What the Heck Does a Land Use Lawyer Actually Do? Montgomery County Chapter of the Inns of Court, 2017
Honors & Accolades
- Best Lawyers in America 2018- 2020
Amee lives in Cheltenham with her husband Eric, an architect, and their two children. Amee is active in her community, serving as the Chair of the Cheltenham Township Zoning Hearing Board. Amee and her family enjoy travelling and experiencing new cultural events and activities. Warm weather often finds them sneaking in a long weekend with extended family on the quiet, sandy shores of beautiful Lake Ontario.
- Pennsylvania, 2004
- New Jersey, 2004
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, J.D. cum laude, 2004
- James E. Beasley Scholar
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, Bachelor of Architecture cum laude, 1996
- Alpha Rho Chi Leadership Medal
- Professional Women in Construction – Founding Board Member, Philadelphia Chapter
- Professional Women in Construction – Board Secretary/Treasurer, Philadelphia Chapter
- Montgomery County Bar Association, 2004 – Present