Scott C. Butler
Scott C. Butler is a principal of the firm and a member of the Real Estate Transactions and Corporate Law Departments. Scott concentrates his areas of practice in real estate and corporate transactions.
Scott is active in all aspects of real estate transactional work including retail, office and industrial leasing representing both landlords and national and regional tenants; limited partnership, operating and other joint venture agreements; acquisition and sale agreements; easement agreements, declarations and restrictive covenants; site development agreements; construction and permanent loan financings; brokerage and management agreements; condominiums and planned communities; loan work-outs; and loan acquisitions. He also represents business owners in the sale and acquisition of businesses and related assets.
Scott’s approach to each deal is to act as a deal-maker and problem solver while protecting his client’s interests. He evaluates the most important issues to each party to a transaction in order to determine an agreement and solution that will be acceptable to all parties involved.
Scott is a frequent writer for local real estate periodicals such as the Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal, and has published articles on non-recourse loan liabilities, brokerage agreements, subleases, continuous operation covenants in retail leases, co-tenancy provisions in retail leases, maximizing redevelopment opportunities in retail leases, percentage rent, and gross-up provisions in commercial leases.
Scott was named the Best Attorney of 2016 for Real Estate Transaction and Corporate & Business Planning by the Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal and has been selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyer list for Real Estate.
- Protecting Redevelopment Opportunities In Retail Leases
- DEALING WITH RETAIL VACANCIES
- Beware of Personal Liability in Your Non-Recourse Loan
- Earned Commissions Under Exclusive Listing Agreements
- Is There a Such Thing as a “Simple Sublease”?
- Keeping Retail Tenants Open For Business
- Landlord Protections in Co-Tenancy Provisions
- Leases With High Risk Tenants
- Understanding Percentage Rent in Retail Leases
- Who Is Your Tenant?
- Q & A: As a tenant, what kind of limitations can be negotiated in a lease guaranty?
- The Use of Forbearance Agreements in the Current Economy
- Maximizing Redevelopment Opportunities in Retail Leases
- Overcoming the Estoppel Certificate Hurdle
- Purchasing Distressed Loans
- Retail Lease Rent Deferrals and Reductions in Response to the Current Economic Downturn
Honors & Accolades
- Recipient, D. George Levine Memorial Award for Excellence in Real Property Law, 1996
- Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal, Best of 2016 Real Estate Transactional and Corporate and Business Planning Attorney, 2016
Pennsylvania Super Lawyer list for Real Estate, 2018 and 2019
Scott resides in Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania with his wife, Sue, and their three sons, Jake, Owen and Brandon.
- Pennsylvania, 1996
- New Jersey, 1996
- New York Law School, New York, NY, J.D. cum laude, 1996
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, B.A., 1993
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers