Michael P. Coughlin
Michael P. Coughlin is a co-founder and principal with the firm and co-chairman of the Commercial Litigation Department. In his 33 years of practice, Mike has acquired extensive commercial litigation experience, frequently representing title underwriters, employers, businesses, lending institutions, and real estate developers in a wide range of commercial disputes in the federal and state courts and government agencies of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He has substantial experience in mediation and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, including “private” arbitration, and arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association and the National Academy of Conciliators.
For the past 28 years, a significant part of Mike’s practice has been devoted to representing title agents, title underwriters and their insureds in title litigation, including Stewart Title Guaranty Company, First American Title Insurance Company, Fidelity National Title Insurance Company, and Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company. He is an active member of the Pennsylvania Land Title Association and has represented the PLTA in various appeals before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court involving issues important to the title insurance industry.
Mike has been involved in numerous speaking engagements including several seminars on title insurance, legal ethics, and trial practices. He was also a regular contributor to the PLTA’s publication, Common Ground. Mike is admitted to practice in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the New Jersey Supreme Court.
- County Approval Required for Access Easement Over Land Burdened by Open Space Easement
- Restrictive Covenant in Will Does Not Preclude Property Subdivision
- Conveyance of Trust Property to Beneficiaries Declared Void
- Who’s on First? Claiming Conspiracy and Fraud, Bank Tries to Prime Judgment Creditor
- Including Wife’s Name On Deed But Not On Mortgage Held Not To Be A “Mistake”
- Marriage Performed by Internet-Ordained “Minister” Declared Invalid
- Title Agent Pleads Guilty to Mail Fraud in Connection with a $4.6 Million Embezzlement
- What’s in a Name? Is Fineyard Lane a “Street”?
- Understanding Easements in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2007
- Malpractice Worries: Mistakes Lawyers Have Made in Real Estate Transactions, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2005 – 2006
- Practical Approach to Mechanic’s Liens, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2005
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Title Law: Problems and Solutions, National Business Institute, 2003
- 1,001 Things (more or less) to Check at Closings, Stewart Title Guaranty Company, 2002
- Why Most Title Agents Have Grey Hair, Agency Seminar
- Complex Title Issues, Pennsylvania Business Institute, 2005
- Title Insurance: From Commitment to Claim, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2004
- Claims and Case Law Update, Chicago Title Agency Seminar, 2005
Mike and his wife, have three children and five grandchildren. He enjoys playing golf and ice hockey and is an avid, life-long fan of the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team.
- Pennsylvania, 1985
- New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1985
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, J.D. magna cum laude, 1985
- LaSalle College, Philadelphia, PA, B.S. magna cum laude, 1980
- Dean’s List, all semesters
- Pennsylvania Land Title Association, Member, 2000 – Present
- American Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Member