Marc B. Kaplin
Co-Founder & Principal
Marc B. Kaplin is a co-founder and principal of the firm. Marc chairs the Land Use, Zoning & Development Department. In addition to his general real estate practice, Marc is nationally recognized for his expertise in land use and development, zoning and planning, environmental permitting, land use litigation, and business law. With more than 25 years of real estate law experience, he concentrates in homebuilding and the ownership and development of shopping centers, offices, apartment buildings, and retail stores.
In 1968-69, Marc was a clerk for the Trial Commissioners of the United States Court of Claims in Washington, D.C., and served approximately nine different trial commissioners, primarily on cases involving federal taxation or contract claims against the United States. In 1969, Marc returned to Philadelphia with the law firm of Kleinbard Bell & Brecker representing management in labor disputes, taxation, acquisition and sale of businesses, real estate, and corporate issues.
In 1972, Marc joined the law firm of Astor & Weiss and became the partner primarily responsible for handling the more complicated real estate and corporate transactions. He was appointed Solicitor of Whitpain Township, Montgomery County, and represented the Township in all matters of zoning law and land development.
In 1976, Marc co-founded the predecessor firm of Lesser & Kaplin and headed its Real Estate Department. On January 1, 1997, Lesser & Kaplin disbanded and Marc and seven other principals formed Kaplin Stewart Meloff Reiter & Stein, P.C. at the same location.
Marc was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2007-2018 in the field of Land Use & Zoning Law (Copyright 2009 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.).
- Land Use, Zoning, and Development
- Real Estate Transactional
- Purchase and Sale Transactions
- Real Estate Financing
- Executive Committee, Philadelphia Region Board of Anti-Defamation League
- Anti-Defamation League
- Hogs and Honey Foundation for Kids
- Presented a real estate course for the Philadelphia Board of Realtors on “Current Issues in Zoning and Land Development.”
Honors & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America – 2007-2018
- The Best Lawyers in PA – 2013, 2015, 2016
- Super Lawyers – 2004 – 2014
Marc and his wife, Esther, have a daughter, Simi, and a son, Andy.
- PA Supreme Court – 1969
- US District Court, Third Circuit – 1989
- US Supreme Court – 1992
- U.S. Tax Court
- Villanova University, Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, PA, J.D., cum laude, 1968
- Villanova Law Review Editor, Order of the Coif Member
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, B.S
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Legal Action Committee of the National Association of Homebuilders
- Home Builders Association of Bucks and Montgomery Counties