Kevan F. Hirsch
Kevan F. Hirsch is a partner of Kaplan Stewart and represents a diverse array of clients in resolving their commercial claims and disputes through litigation, arbitration, and mediation as well as counseling on claims avoidance, contract drafting, and transactional matters.
For business clients, Kevan has handled internal and external disputes, representing shareholders, directors, publicly and closely held corporations in matters involving such issues as dissenters’ rights, control premiums, fiduciary duties, contract disputes, anti-trust violations, and business torts. He has long standing relationships with clients in the software, consulting, advertising, equipment distribution, executive recruitment, and industrial equipment industries. For those clients and others, he has extensive experience with preparing and enforcing non-compete and non-disclosure agreements and protection of trade secrets and intellectual property rights.
Since 2010, a large segment of his practice has been devoted to serving as General Counsel for an industry leader in corporate treasury software implementation and development, for which he handles consulting services and software licensing agreements as well as the array of legal issues facing a fast growing nationwide and international information technology business.
Kevan has expertise in mechanical, gearing, and mixing technology developed during three decades of representing original equipment manufacturers for a variety of commercial, marine, and industrial applications in disputes across the United States and abroad. He regularly represents a family of companies, which include the manufacturer of new patented spray-on roofing and insulation equipment and a large roofing equipment and fasteners distributor.
For insurance clients, Kevan has developed expertise in defending bad faith claims against carriers, and regularly represents two insurance groups in actions brought directly against the companies in this region. He has represented insurers and insureds in complex commercial lines coverage actions and financial disputes relating to sophisticated insurance products as well as general liability, property, life, and disability coverage disputes and claims.
Recently, Kevan has been developing expertise and experience in serving as a neutral arbitrator and mediator, attending the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School and serving as a Judge Pro Tem in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Commerce and Civil Divisions.
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA, Certificate for Mediating the Litigated Case, 2017
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, J.D., cum laude, 1982
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, B.A., cum laude, 1976
- American Bar Association, Member, 1982-Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member 1982-present, Lawyers Assistance Committee, Member and former Chair, 2010-present
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Member, 1982-present, Lawyers Assistance Committee, Member and former Chair, 2008-present
- Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas, Volunteer Judge Pro Tem, 2014-present
- M. Patricia Carroll Fund, President, 2015-present, Trustee, 2013-present
- Lawyers Concerned For Lawyers of Pennsylvania, Board Member, 2002-2016, Volunteer, 2002-present
- Don’t Click “I Accept” So Fast – Standard Software Licenses and Service Contracts May Leave You Unprotected – October 28, 2016
- Innovative Technology and New Relationships Deserve Custom Collaborative Agreements
- Whose LinkedIn Connections Are Those Anyway? – November 1, 2016
- Breaking Up is Hard To Do
- Does my Business Interruption Insurance Cover a Hurricane? It Depends…
Avid golfer and life-long Labrador Retriever owner.