Daniel M. Dixon
Dan’s practice focuses on providing the highest quality Tax counsel and advocacy to fortune 500 companies and beyond. Often this counsel and advocacy results in significant tax savings. He has resolved, both through litigation and settlement, difficult state tax matters before administrative appeal boards, tax tribunals, and courts in more than 25 states (with a particular focus on Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and California). Managing single-state and multi-state audits, planning advice, and interfacing with government officials is also a significant component of Dan’s 14+ year legal career.
Dan has also focused on “the business of law” as a primary tenet to a successful career. This frequently includes managing a team of associates and leveraging other professionals to deliver advice in an efficient and timely manner.
As far as “niche” practices, Dan has developed a particular focus on the taxation of software and emerging technologies and also has extensive experience in State Unemployment Insurance law. Dan’s expertise in the Oil and Gas industry has also led to the development of a specialty practice related to the taxation of natural gas drilling and extraction in the Marcellus Shale region of Pennsylvania.
Recently Dan has been gaining expertise in Pennsylvania Right to Know laws, electronic document collection and retention, and document destruction laws.
New Jersey, 2003
- Widener University School of Law, Chester, PA, J.D., 2005, cum laude
- Saint Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, B.S., 2000
Major: Psychology Minors: English/Education
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Special Olympics
- Supreme Court Overturns Physical Presence Standard for Establishing Sales Tax Nexus.
- Pennsylvania Sales Tax Collection, Reporting ‘Deadline’ for Online Retailers, Others Looms: Posted on National Law Review
- State Tax Implications of Federal Tax Reform: Posted on National Law Review
- Ohio Imposes Tax on Online Retailers with No Physical Presence in State: Posted on National Law Review
- To Blacklist or Not to Blacklist — The Trend Toward State Tax Haven Laws: State Tax Notes
- Council on State Taxation 50 State Tax Development Summary – Virginia: Council On State Taxation (COST)
- Taxing the Marcellus Shale: The Fundamental Concepts Driving the Discussion: The Legal Intelligencer
- Pennsylvania Court Holds Refund Limitation Period Begins on Date Tax Was Paid: Tax Analysts
- Idaho Wants to Tax the Cloud: The Wall Street Journal
- How the Tax Man Followed Amazon and Apple to the Could Computing Party: Forbes
- 2018 Tax Reform & Tax Controversy Seminar including State and Local Tax Updates
Santa Clara, CA: Tax Executive Institute Seminar
- Navigating US Tax Reform: State and Local Tax Implications, Philadelphia, PA, Seminar
- Intermediate/Advanced Sales Tax School “Comparison of the Imposition of Sales Taxes & Gross Receipts, Atlanta, GA: Counsel on State Taxation Seminar
- 2013 State and Local Tax Update Including Marcellus Shale Update & Clouds, Codes, and Crunching Numbers: An Update on Current Multi-State Tax Developments, Harrisburg, PA: Tax Executive Institute Seminar
- Clouds, Codes and Crunching Numbers: An Update on Current Multi-State Developments and Trends in the Taxation of Electronic Goods and Services- Pacific Southwest Regional State Tax:Council on State Taxation Seminar
- Clouds, Codes, and Crunching Numbers: An Update on Current Multi-State Tax Developments, Los Angeles, CA: Council on State Taxation Seminar