Andrew B. Cohn
Andrew B. Cohn is a principal in the firm and co-chair of its Construction Law Group. He concentrates his practice in construction law and litigation and commercial litigation. He handles complex construction claims, litigation, arbitration, and mediation matters for owners/developers, prime contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, suppliers, and design professionals. His practice includes the negotiation and drafting of construction contracts and other construction-related agreements.
Over many years, Andy has represented clients in virtually every area of construction contracting and litigation matters including:
- Payment disputes
- Change order and extra work claims
- Delay and acceleration claims
- Liquidated damages claims
- Mechanics’ and construction lien claims
- Construction defect claims
- Insurance-related disputes
- Breach of warranty claims
His representation spans new construction and renovation projects for:
- Schools and public buildings
- Energy facilities
- Multi-family apartment and condominium buildings
- Medical facilities
- Single-family home residential construction
Andy’s construction practice includes the review, negotiation, and structuring of construction contracts, subcontracts, and transactions. He is experienced in alternative dispute resolution both as counsel to parties in construction and commercial arbitration and mediation and as an arbitrator and mediator of disputes himself. He is trained as a mediator by the American Arbitration Association and serves as an arbitrator and mediator in construction disputes.
He is a frequent speaker on construction issues to professional and trade groups, and members of the Bar. He has given seminars for such organizations as the National Business Institute, Lorman Educational Services, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the American Subcontractors’ Association, and the Montgomery Bar Association.
Before entering private legal practice, Andy spent the first six years of his legal career as a Philadelphia Assistant District Attorney in the Edward G. Rendell Administration where he tried felony cases, argued appellate cases before the Pennsylvania Superior and Supreme Courts, and investigated and prosecuted fraud, corruption, and complex white-collar crime cases.
For the past 11 years, Andy has been voted a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in construction law.
- Construction Law
- Construction Claims and Litigation
- Mechanics’ and Construction Lien Claims
- Commercial Litigation
- Represented a structural steel subcontractor in a two-week arbitration trial against a school district which resulted in an Award in favor of the subcontractor in the amount of $1.9 Million.
- Successfully represented a general contractor in its claim against a townhome developer which resulted in a judgment for $1.8 Million.
- Successfully defended a site work contractor in a $700,000 claim against it for allegedly defective construction work. Case settled with a minimum contribution from the site work contractor.
- Non-Profit Finance Fund, New York, NY, Board of Directors, Secretary, Chair Audit Committee
- Limitation of Liability Clauses Can Offer Effective Protection for Design Professionals and Parties to Construction Contracts
- Building In Pennsylvania? Make Sure You Understand Mechanics’ Liens
- Contractors May Now Bring Direct Action for Economic Losses Against Design Professional
- For Relief From Liability Claims, First Look to the Statute of Repose
- Liability is Paramount in Design Services Agreement
- So You Want to Do Construction Work on a Pennsylvania Slots Parlor?
- Think Ahead About Contract Damages
- Economic Downturn Requires Specialized Survival Skills
Honors & Accolades
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2006 – 2019
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 – 2020
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Philadelphia’s Top Rated Lawyer in Construction Law by Martindale-Hubbell 2012
- Pennsylvania, 1978
- New Jersey, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, B.A., cum laude
- American Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Building Industry Association (Philadelphia)
- American Subcontractor’s Association
- National Subcontractor’s Alliance